Safety informationThe trail is groomed after each snowfall. Please note the condition reports in the winter sports report. The tour was assessed in favourable weather conditions, the current snow and weather conditions must be observed before starting.
The trail passes through wildlife rest areas, please do not leave forest trails.The trail runs partly on cross-country ski trails and ski slopes - please walk along the edge of the trails/slopes.The km figures for the route include the ascent Scuol - Motta Naluns.
144 Emergency call, first aid
1414 Mountain rescue REGA
112 International emergency call
Tips and hints
- From the north: via Landquart - Klosters by car transport through the Vereina Tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or via the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27.
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27
- Zernez is located directly on the Ofenpass and on the Engadine road H27 (10 minutes drive from Vereina south portal)
- Free parking at the railway station, in the village and at the National Park Visitor Centre in Zernez.
- Paid parking at the railway station in Lavin or at the Hotel Bär & Post in Zernez.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentHigh and sturdy hiking boots or winter boots, warm clothing, sun cream, sunglasses, sunscreen, hiking poles.
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
- 4 Stages