High-level hike to the Maiensäss Munt d'Ardez as a link between two authentic and award-winning Engadine villages.
Distance 7.4 km
From the PostBus stop Guarda, cumün, the trail initially leads through the very well preserved Engadine village of Guarda. The beautiful houses and alleyways inspired Selina Chönz and Alois Carigiet to write their children's book Schellen-Ursli and helped the village win the Henri-Louis Wakker Prize in 1975. Staying at the same level, the path continues to the hamlet of Bos-cha. After Bos-cha the ascent to Munt begins, above Ardez. From the high-level trail around Munt, you enjoy magnificent views of the surrounding peaks and the Lower Engadine. The descent takes you directly to Ardez. Like Guarda, Ardez is also an intact Engadine village with an award-winning centre.
The path from Munt to Ardez descends steadily and evenly, so it is worth taking the sledge for the final descent to Ardez on this hike.
AuthorTourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG (ml)
Update: December 17, 2021
Safety informationThe trail is groomed after each snowfall. Please note the condition reports in the winter sports report. The tour was assessed in favourable weather conditions, current snow and weather conditions must be noted before starting.
144 Emergency call, first aid
1414 Mountain rescue REGA
112 International emergency call
- From the north: via Landquart - Klosters by car transport through the Vereina Tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or via the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27.
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27
Guarda can be reached in 5 minutes by car from the Engadin road H27 at Giarsun.
- Paid parking at the entrance to Guarda village (Guarda is car-free)
- Paid parking at Guarda railway station
32T 587981 5180866
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentHigh and sturdy hiking boots or winter boots, warm clothing, sun protection, hiking poles (as required), sledge for the descent (as required).
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view