Easy hike along the Zitatenweg through the woods and meadows into the Zanders valley.
Distance 6 km
This hike begins in the centre of Samnaun-Compatsch. The slightly ascending forest road takes you to the "Mottas Laretas" hill, where benches invite you to linger and enjoy the beautiful view of Samnaun-Compatsch. This is also where the quotation and aphorism path begins, which we will follow until we reach the national border. When crossing the Malfragbach stream you simultaneously cross the border between Switzerland and Austria. The path now continues over Zanderswiesen. After crossing the Zandersbach, keep right and walk toward Spiss. At the playground after about 300 metres turn right again and cross the Zandersbach once again. Now you are in Switzerland again. The trail follows the wild course of the stream as far as Spissermühle, where the PostBus takes hikers back to Samnaun.
AuthorTourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair
Update: February 02, 2021
Rest StopFireplace Zanderstal
Fireplace Mottas Laretas
Safety informationThe tour has been evaluated under favorable weather conditions. Current weather conditions and weather forecasts must be taken into account before the tour starts. This hike requires elementary alpine experience, orientation skills. Trekking shoes are recommended.
144 Emergency call, first aid
1414 Mountain rescue REGA
112 International emergency call
Tips and hintswww.samnaun.ch
- From the north: via Landquart - Klosters by car transport through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) Then take the H27 in the direction via Scuol and Martina to Vinadi. At the junction Vinadi to Samnaun (about 1 hour from Vereina Südportal)
- From the east: via the Inn valley road B180 via Landeck to Pfunds, junction Kajetansbrücke and via Spiss to Samnaun.
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders) on B180 to Pfunds, junction Kajetansbrücke and via Spiss to Samnaun.
- Please note: If you travel to Samnaun, you need a valid travel document (passport, ID), because you will pass the customs in Martina resp. Spissermühle.
ParkingFree parking in Samnaun-Compatsch at the church and at the school
32T 606874 5201733
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentGood shoes, rain and sun protection, water bottle, bandages.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view