Past the Muttler over the Fuorcla da Maisas from the Lower Engadin into the Samnaun valley.
Distance 17.2 km
The typical and beautifully situated Engadine village Vnà is crossed until the western end of the village. Following the alpine road, you reach the Val Sinestra at the same altitude. On the upper alpine road you continue to the hamlet of Pra San Peder. At the last houses, the road branches off again, again taking the path that branches off to the right, now climbing a little more steeply to the alp Pradgiant. Shortly after the alp the path leads out of the forest. The view goes to the lying Muttler and to the Fuorcla Maisas on the left side. The trail leads across open meadows, climbing steeper and steeper to the scree field below the Fuorcla. The last few meters before the Fuorcla Maisas become a bit steeper again. At the top of the narrow ridge you can enjoy the wide view down into Val Maisas and back to Val Sinestra. After a short stretch on the ridge, the path descends steeply into Val Maisas. As soon as the Maisas stream forms a clear stream, the path leads along the stream with a pleasant gradient over the alpine meadows towards the end of the valley. At an alpine barn, the trail turns back into an alpine road. Following this one reaches Samnaun village through the forest. In Samnaun village there are a number of places to stop for refreshments and a PostBus connection via Martina to Scuol (or via Ramosch back to Vnà)
AuthorTourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG
Update: May 04, 2021
Safety informationThe tour has been evaluated under favorable weather conditions. Current weather conditions and weather forecasts must be taken into account before the tour starts. This hike requires elementary alpine experience, orientation skills, trekking shoes are recommended.
144 Emergency call, first aid
1414 Mountain rescue REGA
112 International emergency call
Tips and hintswww.samnaun.ch
- From north: via Landquart - Klosters by car transport through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or over the Flüela pass into the Lower Engadine on H27
- From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
- From south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27Vnà can be reached in 30 minutes by car from the Engadine road H27 from Sagliains
ParkingParking spaces in Ramosch, Plaz by the church
32T 604098 5188579
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentGood shoes, rain and sun protection, water bottle, bandages.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view