From country to country, from alp to alp: from Flisseralpe in Austria to Alp Bella in Switzerland.
Distance 16.8 km
The hike begins in Samnaun-Compatsch close to the late Gothic church of St. James and initially leads along the quotation and aphorism path into the Zanders valley. After crossing the border into neighbouring Tyrol the ascent to Fliesseralpe follows, where an alpine restaurant invites you to rest. The hike continues via Fliesser Stieralpe to Matschiberlesattel. Here the view opens up over the Samnaun valley toward Reschenpass and Oetztal Alps. At Unter Malfrag you cross the national border again, as you can immediately observe from the different path markings (Austria: red-white-red; Switzerland: white-red-white). At Spatlasattel the panorama changes again; this time you are looking in a westerly direction and seeing the Swiss side of the Silvretta Arena, Samnaun’s local mountain Muttler and Fluchthorn. On the descent to Alp Bella the trail passes the round rock formation "near the church"; an impressive geological witness to the folding of the Alps. Via Oberalp we reach Unteralp, where the Alpstein, one of the largest erratic blocks in Switzerland, is located. Continue leisurely along Mülbach back to Samnaun-Compatsch.
AuthorTourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG
Update: May 04, 2021
Rest StopFireplace Zanderstal
Safety informationThe tour has been evaluated under favorable weather conditions. Current weather conditions and weather forecasts must be taken into account before the tour starts.
144 Emergency call, first aid
1414 Mountain rescue REGA
112 International emergency call
Tips and hintswww.samnaun.ch
- From the north: via Landquart - Klosters by car transport through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) Then take the H27 in the direction via Scuol and Martina to Vinadi. At the junction Vinadi to Samnaun (about 1 hour from Vereina Südportal)
- From the east: via the Inn valley road B180 via Landeck to Pfunds, junction Kajetansbrücke and via Spiss to Samnaun.
- From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders) on B180 to Pfunds, junction Kajetansbrücke and via Spiss to Samnaun.
- Please note: If you travel to Samnaun, you need a valid travel document (passport, ID), because you will pass the customs in Martina resp. Spissermühle.
ParkingFree parking in Samnaun-Compatsch at the church and at the school
32T 606874 5201732
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentGood shoes, rain and sun protection, water bottle, bandages.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Mountain Hikes
- Climbing helmet as required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view